THEN SINGS MY SOUL

This Blog is about one of my favorite things; Gospel Centered Music.



Music is ONE of the simplest forms of learning. Often we are taught entire sermons through just one song.

“Music,is one of the most forceful instruments for governing the mind and spirit of man.” -Gladstone

I am comforted, strengthened and inspired through music.

I love music, and want to share my testimony through the music that inspires me.



Please comment as you wish, and let me know how music inspires you. Make suggestions on what song you'd like to hear, or talk about.



I am going to make it a goal to select a new song each Monday and post it here. I hope as we journey through this we can grow together and live a more Christ centered life.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Week 28: O My Father


"O My Father" Hymn #292

1. O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

2. For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, Youre a stranger here,
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

3. I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heavns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me Ive a mother there.

4. When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when Ive completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.



HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!
I feel like a very blessed women to have the men in my life that I do.
I have a very kind father and a husband who is a wonderful daddy.
I even have a wonderful father-in-law, and some extraordinary Uncles.
And one last Grandfather who is a pillar of goodness in my life.
These men are all great examples of what a man should be.


There is something about my own father that teaches me how my Father in Heaven loves me.
Maybe it is just me but my father is a tall man in spirit, (not stature) his tender heart is felt by most every one. I can't help but FEEL his love for me. Not only when he tells me he loves me, (which he does often, and I feel blessed for that) but when you are just around him.
He is so close to the spirit you can just FEEL his testimony and his love of the gospel.
I recognize the Savior's Love for me and My Heavenly Father's love for me through my earthly father here.
I am truly fortunate to feel that.
I can't ask for a greater gift then that from my DADDY here on earth.


While I was on my mission my father's words and letters helped me to work through a very challenging time in my life.
I was given special permission to get phone calls from my dad every 2 weeks to get through it.
After I was in the field for longer I would forget he was going to call and I was eventually strong enough  to do it on my own, but before that, the strength that came from  my Father's voice carried me from phone call to phone call, there were days when I literally NEEDED to here his words of advise, his love and feel strengthened. In between these calls I had to really rely only on the  STRENGTH of the Lord. I was learning to do this again. I did do it eventually. I still need reminders.


I often reflect on a letter I received from my dad in the MTC when I was struggling, 
He wrote me about PRAYER. He mentioned how the Father listens to us, that we need to trust that he is listening to us like a Dad listens, talk to him like you would your Daddy.
When you think of a Daddy you think of someone who you know well, who you love and adore,
you think of a familiar love and a comfortable love where you can  lay it ALL out on the table.
You can tell him anything, your frustrations, your fears, your angry moments, your best moments, your joyful times and know that HE is your Father. A daddy (on earth) means a more intimate relation then any other title.


Even Christ Referred to his own father as his papa, his father (His daddy)...


In that most burdensome moment of all human history, with blood appearing at every pore and an anguished cry upon His lips, Christ sought Him whom He had always sought—His Father. “Abba,” He cried, “Papa,” or from the lips of a younger child, “Daddy.” "  

d  
The Hands of the Fathers  ,  April  1999
A child first says DADDY when he speaks, it is truly one thing to be a daddy or just a father in any home. In this case, My Father in Heaven is there for me. ( I don't call him daddy, but he is MY father.)
Of, course He is respected as a FATHER, that should be understood but as a Father in Heaven he is closer to you, then you know. HE is closer then the relationship that you have with a daddy. 
When I think of the love that I have for my own father (my Daddy) and the love he has for me,
I understand more fully the Love of my Heavenly Father to me and the love I should have for him.


I am so Grateful to my earthly father for teaching me this truth.
I am so grateful that I am soooo loved.
I am so grateful to have a Father In Heaven who loves me.
I can't help but also, think of My Father in Heaven on Father's Day.



O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place...


No comments:

Post a Comment